On 10/08/04 11:38, "Luis Sequeira" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have a chance to buy a Belkin wireless G (54Mbs) cardbus card at a
> good price. I wonder if any of you can confirm if it works with the
> airport drivers? As usual, there is no mention of mac compatibility,
> but I know several cards just work with the os drivers. I wouldn't
> want to miss the opportunity, but of course would not want to waste
> my money if it does not work...

Under OS 9, many cards indeed are recognized by the standard AirPort
software. However, 802.11g was introduced recently and Apple hasn't updated
AirPort in OS 9 for quite a while, something like 4 years now, so I doubt
you could use the card and expect it to be recognized by the standard
AirPort software.

Under OS X, it's kind of worst. 802.11b cards that were recognized as a
genuine AirPort card under OS 9 stopped being recognized under OS X. You
have to rely on a third party for drivers. You might want to check IOExperts
driver to see if it could support the card but the good price you might be
offset by the price for the driver. Plus, you'll now have a PCMCIA card that
will occupy your single slot and will always stick out of your PowerBook...

-Laurent.