> Greetings Lista's,
   I am running 10.3.4 on a Pismo and am trying to add a PLW NTR
 printer to the system via an Asante bridge that I just got...I have the
 unit hooked up according to the directions but have absolutely no idea
 how to add the NTR as an available printer in 10.3.4   When I go to the
 Apple help site it shows that the drivers for this printer are included
 on Panther.  Unfortunately, I just can't figure out how to add the
 printer or get the system to recognize that it's hooked up..  I really
 need to get this done as my regular printer, an Epson 740 is 125 miles
 away..back home.  I called A/C for help and since I bought Panther over
 90 days ago they wanted to charge me $49 to talk about it....
 Is there anyone in the group that can help me with this problem?  I have
 a cell phone that gives me free calls after 9pm so I would gladly call
 whoever can help in order to walk me through the process..

The Personal LaserWriter NTR is an AppleTalk printer so, assuming your bridge is working fine, the printer name should appear in Print Setup Utility when you choose to add an AppleTalk printer.

-Laurent.

Maybe the printer does not appear automatically. I think that it was not as simple, when I added my Deskwriter. Let me try to recap; maybe it will be useful.

1. Make sure that AppleTalk is active on the required connection in your mac; that should be the ethernet port - go to Network Preferences, select Show: Built-in Ethernet and click on the Appletalk tab. Then select the box that says "Make Appletalk active" (if it was not already, then you found the likely cause of your troubles).

2. Try and see if the printer now appears: go to Printer Setup Utility, and click on "Add"; then select Appletalk and see if it is there. If it is, then you're ok.

If it still does not appear, then maybe you need a slightly more complicated route.

3. Open Terminal and type "atlookup" (without the quotes). [Don't worry, that's the only thing you have to use the Terminal for]
Wait a few seconds. A few lines of output
such as

 ffd6.10.84      HP LaserJet 4ML:LaserWriter

should appear.
If the printer is recognized in your Appletalk network, a line similar to the above but with some name involving Personal Laser Writer should be among them.

Note the second part of the line (I'll use the one above as an example here, substitute the relevant names).

4. Open Printer Setup Utility, HOLD the OPTION KEY and click "Add". Choose "Advanced" and then
"Appletalk Printer Access Protocol". Under "Device name:", choose a name you wish to call your printer by. Under "Device URI:", you should put something like
pap://HP%20LaserJet%20ML/LaserWriter
(note that you should:
a) keep the pap://
b) replace the other colons ':' with slashes '/'
c) replace spaces ' ' with the characters '%20'
Finally, under "printer model", select "Apple" and then the right model for you (or the most similar); in my mac, there is an entry for the Personal Laser Writer NTR, so you may be in luck!

HTH

Luis Sequeira