This thread would make for an interesting thread in
the fields of communications, psychology, philosophy
and human relations. Certainly it reveals some of the
difficulties that technical people have in conveying
what they are trying to say in non-technical terms.
:-)
The problem may have started by someone in the
academic world implying that they worked in the"real
life" world.  :-)
Perhaps this was doubly galling since we see so much
SPAM and Popup ads destroying the credibility of an
otherwise honorable university.  :-)
Regardless, there a few things in life for which a 10%
failure rate is deemed acceptable (although I think we
might welcome a return to that for marriages). :-)
Keep smiling. LOL and enjoying the pissing contests.
Don

>> Bruce, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
>>
>>> In real life, most people have few problems with
OS X.

>> let me guess, "real life" is lives approved by....
you? How do
you=20
>> find
>> the time for all this approval business?
>>
>> I have few problems with OS X. Is that enough to
become approved?

> Since Bruce is a system administrator where he
works, I would
assume=20=

> that
> when he says "real life", he's probably thinking
about the users
he=20
> has to
> support. But that's just wishful thinking from me...

That's the experience I was talking from, that and the
shared=20
experiences of our Mac admins group on campus. We find
that, in the=20
main, we don't have to do a whole lot, since the Macs
don't seem to=20
break very often; when they do, it's often easy to
fix.

Sometimes we get seemingly hard ones, but even they
often turn out
to=20
have simple fixes.

Moreover, either because Mac users are naturally more
intelligent
;-),=20=

they're more used to fixing things themselves, living
in a computing=20
ghetto that they do, or that macs are easier to deal
with in the
first=20=

place (or a combination of all three), we find that
one reason we're
so=20=

rarely fixing problems is that the users themselves
fix the problems=20
when they arise.

I'm not offended my Mikael's remarks, what bothers me
is the seeming=20
attitude by many that the mac is just beset with
horrible problems,=20
because they go looking for the people having those
problems. (like=20
hitting MacFixit every day, and such.) It's a biased
view, and after
a=20=

while, if those are the sites you frequent, it seems
like it's the
only=20=

view.

It's like the many, many PC users I've run into who
are genuinely=20
surprised, when I tell them I didn't have to worry
about viruses on
my=20=

Mac. They see nothing but all the news coverage about
this or that
new=20=

virus sweeping the worlds computers, and never seem to
read to the
last=20=

line where the obligatory "Macs and Linux systems are
not affected."

(A problem not confined merely to computers in this
media-soaked age)

> --
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona