MTH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I can't really give you any advice on accessories, but if you plan on
using the trackpad at all then I suggest that you download sidtrack.
Here is the URL:

http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/sidetrack/

SideTrack looks great, but a little too complex for me; I use uControl <http://gnufoo.org/ucontrol/ucontrol.html>: it's mostly for keyboard remapping, but also offers "scroll wheel emulation," whereby I can press the fn key and drag my fingertip on the trackpad to scroll; very nice (though it's a little jerky in Eudora, dunno why).

The tappable trackpad came to the PowerBook with the 5300/190 generation, but, oddly enough, it came with the 190 but not the 5300; I got a 190 trackpad and installed it in my 5300, and have relied on tapping instead of the button ever since (though I've never taken the time to figure out how to use it for dragging). There have been some problems with the system interpreting a light, inadvertent brush as a tap (which can lead to whole paragraphs of text suddenly being replaced by the next letter you type); there was a freeware extension named TapGuard to help with that, but now, as mentioned, OS X includes an "Ignore accidental trackpad input" option which should be checked.

Andrew Main