> I have an S-Video to RCA adapter (which came with my Dell laptop). I
 have a cable with 3-prongs (white/red/yellow) on each end.  I plugged
 the yellow into the VCR "in" RCA jack and plugged the other end into
 the SVideo to RCA adapter and plugged that into my Powerbook.

 I rebooted the Powerbook with this all plugged in and the VCR turned on.

 I went to System Preferences > Displays and clicked 'Detect Displays"

Nothing.

It seems to indicate a bad (or not compatible) adapter. Using the S-video adapter that came with my Lombard, I had no problems, TiBook and Lombard detect displays in a blitz. Trying a third part adapter yelded no success.

Also note that adding an additional Scart/white-red-yellow to the chain
(when the VCR does not have RCA "in" -I mean the yellow one- and you use
the scart-in) disrupts the whole game, at least in my experience.

cheers, gianfranco

I think it all boils down to how the mac can "sense" that there is a tv monitor attached to it.
The "S-video" port on the PB actually has more pins (I believe 7 vs 4) than a regular S-video plug.
The adapter that comes with the PB has these extra pins, one or more of them actually carry the composite video signal. The adapter just gives you a regular RCA jack to get the composite signal from. The bottom line is that the PB can output BOTH an S-video signal AND a composite video signal.
(So the adapter is NOT converting any S-video to composite).
I don't know the Dell, but it could be that the adapter you have may actually be a CONVERTER (with the 4 S-video pins and some circuitry that converts the signal to composite). If this is the case then probably the mac can no longer "sense" what is a the other end of this circuitry.

AFAIK there is no way to force the PB to output to the S-video port even it senses nothing there, but if someone knows a way to do it, I would like to know.

Luis Sequeira