I have what might seem a strange problem. Apologies in advance as this is not a Mac-related issue, but this is the only notebook list I am on, and the question is rather platform independent anyway.

I have a Nec notebook which is almost a year old. Three days ago, its hard disk started making high pitch squeeky noises, as well as loud, intermittent clicks. I could confirm that these were HDD-related, as they appeared when entering certain directories, creating serious response delays.

As far as I know, this means that some bad sectors are on their way and the hard disk is gonna die rather sooner than later. After a reboot I was not able to reproduce the problem, though. I checked the disk surface and formatted parts of it, but now it works like a charm. However, I am now rather wary of using the notebook; I don't want the hard disk to die just in the middle of doing something important.

My questions are:
- am I right in assuming that this is a serious problem and a disaster waiting to happen soon?
- if so, what can I do for the problem to resurface? this is my secondary notebook, and it came with my job, so it is not crucial for me at this moment... and I'd rather have it repaired/replaced now than later (especially as it's already 10 months old and the warranty will probably expire soon)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Marcin Wichary
e:\> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
w:\> www.aci.com.pl/mwichary >> Attached