I need some suggestions what to look for in a Powerbook G4 Titanium 550,
which refuses to see, except for the first 5 minutes, and also don't
charge batteries, even if known to be good and fully working in other
Powerbook G4s.

Typical behavior is that when battery is inserted and machine is started
the "calculating" message initially appears in the menu bar for some
minutes, I think abut 5 to 15. After this initial time the cross appears
with the message "no batteries available". It stays like this until
battery is resinserted.
If turned off and battery is inserted the green battery led lights run up
for a few cycles and then stops completely or leave one led blinking. The
Power Supply connector light on the back is orange at that point.

Funny thing is when I did this just now with power supply connected and I
put the machine to sleep first and when I removed the battery, it turned
the display off. I've seen this in another titanium with latch problems,
but this one doesn't have that.

This machine also forgets dates if unconnected for any length of time,
indicating the backup battery needs replacement. Could this be connected
to batteries not charging?

I find nothing specific for this charge problem in the "Powerbook G4"
repair manual from 2001.