I would think that he has a computer that does not have the built in Bluetooth and is using the keyboard and mouse with a usb-bluetooth adaptor. If he is using an adapter he may have it plugged into a usb hub.

If you are using an adaptor have you tried plugging it back into the computer and see if it works, may be some issue with hubs.....