Are you working with battery power or is it plugged?.... I remember that some PB 400 and 500 had problems with the battery connector that in some instances it lost contact in cases when handling the computer with one hand... It might just be that the battery contact becomes loose when you move the computer, and it goes into sleep mode, and it is not able to wake up because there is no power.

Just a thought

Luis