The National Enquirer reports at 10:46 PM -0700 9/6/04, Kathryn Odell wrote:

>I am the proud owner of a PowerBook laptop--15"! I'm really enjoying
>it! My question---I'm currently using a NetGear 11.b wireless router,
>but I would like to upgrade to g for the speed. Has anyone done this? I
>noticed that you can get a NetGear for about $29. Has anyone tried it?
>
>Thanks for your comments,
>kate

I don't know how long you've been on the list, Kate, or how much
attention you've paid to recent posts, but I'll reiterate something
this has been said here often.

Unless you are planning on transferring numerous files of very large
size ** (i.e. Gigabytes)  from one computer one your network to
another computer on your network**, you really won't benefit from
upgrading to the 802.11g hardware. You absolutely won't see any speed
increase on your Internet connection despite having any form of
broadband. Its not even utilizing the full transfer-rate of your
802.11b hardware.

Now if you were to say that you like color of the 11g model better,
or that its shape fits your decor better...well, hey, I'm married.
(*_*) But just to change for the speed, that comes down to logic, not
taste.

On the other hand $29 is not much. So whatever makes you happy. I'm
just trying to help your expectations meet your reality.

HTH,

Bob