are you still under the Apple Care Blanket?
If not can you get one?
If so, get it; wait a month and send it in.
Will cost you around 300$ (Apple Care)
And then Apple will, fix or repair it for free.
Not a bad deal
Just my 2 cents,

The Dr
Canada
On 11-Sep-04, at 4:10 PM, Barton Brown wrote:

I hope someone can help me. I have a just-over-one-year-old (of course) 17" G4 PowerBook with a SuperDrive. After a year of working flawlessly, reading and burning all brands of CD and DVD, yesterday I went to put in a blank CD to backup some data with Toast, and got an unhappy surprise: the disk went in fine, but then the drive clunked twice, and spat the disk out. I tried several other disks -- commercial, self-burned, DVD -- same trick every time: full pull-in insert, two big clunks and disk eject.

I reset PRAM, NVRAM, and the PMU, did the Force Quit, Force Shutdown, Control-Command-Power start -- all the Apple remedies. I'm currently trying to find my original Hardware Diagnostic disks, but if the drive won't accept any other disks, I'm justifiably concerned that it won't accept the diagnostic disks either.

Apple support quoted me a replacement drive price of around $1000 (minus labor), and that' doesn't make me too happy. Any suggestions/previous experience/mantras, etc.?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bart Brown
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
-----------

17" PowerBook G4, 1GHz
1 Gig RAM
OSX 10.2.8 (6R73)

Superdrive:
Matshita UJ-815
D0CB

HD:
Fujitsu MHS2060AT (60 Gb)

Small Dog Electronics http://www.smalldog.com | Refurbished Drives |
-- Check our web site for refurbished PowerBooks | & CDRWs on Sale! |