On Sep 14, 2004, at 9:44 AM, BobGir wrote:
How can I find out the capacity
of my laptopıs battery? Batteries
remain a bit of a mystery to
most laptop users, but if you are
running Mac OS X, thereıs a Unix
command that will tell you your
batteryıs current capacity. Open the
Terminal (Applications > Utilities)
and type in the following:
loreg -I grep -i lOBatteryinfo

Saw this in www.mac-hints-tips.com, but when I follow the directions, there
is no result produced in my Terminal. How about in yours???

As you had it, no, I didn't get anything. I suspect the problem was that you didn't copy/paste, but rather re-typed, and ended up switching some lowercase L for an uppercase I, and skipped the pipe (the "|" before "grep") entirely.

However, when I changed it to this

ioreg -l | grep -i IOBatteryInfo

Note that is "ioreg" where the first character is an 'i' not a lowercase L
followed by a dash and then a lowercase L and then a pipe (over the ENTER key on my PB)

I think you also had a lowercase L for the first character of "lOBatteryInfo" when it was a capital 'i' instead.

When I made those changes, then I got the following:

Terminal is very fussy about that sort of thing.

Also note that the "-i" flag to 'grep' tells it to ignore case. When your command didn't work, the first thing I did was change it to "batteryinfo" instead.

You might also be interested in seeing the entire output.  Try this:

ioreg -l   |   open -f

again that middle character is a pipe. That will show the entire output and open it in TextEdit, which may be easier to read.

TjL

ps - that reading was taken with about 11% of my battery remaining, running while NOT plugged in, FWIW.