on 17/09/04 21:16, Jim Scott at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Well, here goes another learning curve. I bought an external Yamaha firewire
> case that originally held a CD/RW from a fellow swapper. I found that it
> works just fine with my G3 700 iBook running 10.3.5 when I  put a Memorex
> 52x32x52x CD/RW burner in it.
>
> However, when I put a hard drive in the firewire case, it will not show up
> on the desktop, no matter what I do. I've tried hard drives formatted for
> OSX, HFS+. I've changed around from master to slave to cable select. I've
> tried various manufacturers' drives -- Maxtor, Western Digital, Fujitsu,
> etc. I've tried booting into OS 9.1, 9.2.2 and 10.3.5. All Apple updates
> have been downloaded and installed. Nada, zip, zilch, nothing -- no firewire
> drive shows up.
>
> I'm of the opinion that what's missing is an extension/driver for the
> firewire bridge (the circuit board) inside the case. So, does anyone have
> one to sell me for a Yamaha Model No. CRW8824IX, made in Sept. 2000? Or can
> you point me to a generic driver that worked for you? Help!

It could possibly miss a driver as you suggest, but the thing is, I've never
heard of any driver for a FireWire drive for OS X. I would imagine that the
bridge interface was designed for a removable drive expecting probably an
ATAPI device while the hard drive you put in is most likely using an ATA
interface...

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

firebottle n.obs.: A large, primitive, power-hungry active electrical
device, similar in function to a FET but constructed out of glass, metal,
and vacuum. Characterized by high cost, low density, low reliability,
high-temperature operation, and high power dissipation. Sometimes mistakenly
called a `tube' in the U.S. or a `valve' in England; another hackish term is
glassfet.