wow, I never even saw that option there when I looked,
Thanks heaps!

Ben Dyer wrote:
If you're using X 10.3 (not sure about 10.2), just go to System Preferences>Network>Show (the lower of the 2 pop-up menus)>Network Port Configurations, and click the New... button. Type a name, and select "Built-in FireWire" from the Port pop-up menu. Then, you can configure it just like a regular ethernet port by selecting the port name you just typed in from the Show pop-up menu.

On versions of OS X that don't support this by default, IIRC there's an extension you can download from Apple called IP over FireWire. Just search the apple.com site for it.

Cheers,
Ben