At 12:15 PM -0700 10/15/2004, Bruce Johnson wrote:

While we're on this, how do you do this with iPhoto?
[snip]
iTunes worked just fine (I didn't even have to re-authorize it) by dragging the old iTunes folder to the new directory.

Alas, iPhoto doesn't work this way. If I replace the iPhoto folder with my old one, starting iPhoto just causes it to bounce a couple of times and go away, even if I trash the iPhoto prefs.

Oh boy. :( I was afraid of this. And I'm currently "moving into" a new PB.

We have thousands of photos. Some on CD. Some we transferred from the old PB (just folder trees) and some from iPhoto on an iMac.

Just starting to look at iPhoto and so far -- we just don't like what we're seeing. We're used to being able to move pictures around, etc, directly from the Finder then manipulate them with tools like GraphicConverter's browser window. But iPhoto seems to knot things up with aliases and such?!

We don't want to loose our current organization.

And we certainly don't want to loose photos!

Is there some definative information as to what iPhoto stashes where and how etc? I've not found anything clear in Apple's help or kbase...

What about the photo's formatting - jpeg vs tiff? We have a lot of scans and pics in tiff format. Does iPhoto maintain the EXIF information and let you edit it?

And finally, how do you turn iPhoto OFF - so it doesn't automatically try to suck photos off our cameras and media cards?

Thx,
- Dan.