Best way I know of is: throw away the current iPhoto library and empty trash. Copy your old iPhoto library somewhere on your HD apart from the 'pictures' folder on your home folder.

Launch iPhoto. It should say: I can't find the iPhoto library, do you want to import blah blah.

Say yes and navigate to the old iPhoto library and select it. iPhoto should import the old library. To be really thorough, once that is done, quit iPhoto. Then hold shift-command-option when relaunching it, and iPhoto will rebuild the library. If all goes well, you should end up with your old library exactly as it was.

This method worked quite well for me the 3 or 4 times that I have done it.

Steve