At 02:18 PM -0700 10/16/2004, Bruce Mitchell wrote:

If that's the case, how do you explain my getting bounce messages every day ever since I've been on this list? I usually get one a day, sometimes several. I'm on CharterCable and Earthlink, not Verizon.

Mailing list servers are especially high volume trafficers. And a lot of what they send smells like spam because of repeated ads and sigs, etc. (Makes for a lot of spam trap problems/hassles for the ISPs)

At any given time the big ISPs bounce anywhere from 5 to 30% of all mailing list traffic. The #1 cause: Their mail storage server didn't ack fast enough with "yes, that user exists" type responses. The #2 cause: They intentionally deprioritize, limit, and/or kill connections to known mailing list servers so one-off (private email) connections get processed faster.

Mostly this causes single soft bounces, so you see nothing. But when the soft bounces repeat enough they pass the server's (maclaunch in this case) threshold, that's when you start getting the warnings. And they're just warnings! The warning specifically says:
--> If you read this message, your mail system has been probably fixed.
So no action is really necessary on your part unless you're just dying to fix that counter...

My impression is that maclaunch isn't actively managed, so it gets side-lined more often than most. ...This from chatting with a guy what works in Comcast's abuse dept.

Bottom line:
1) Bounces happen; no big deal.
2) Mailing list bounces happen more frequently; still no big deal.
3) It will take someone from maclaunch to definatively say why they continue.

- Dan.