On Sep 24, 2004, at 2:51 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

On Sep 24, 2004, at 2:15 PM, Tom and Lisa P wrote:

He tried to continue but no keystrokes appear on the screen. Same for trying to shut down. After pulling the AC and battery it now appears to be completely dead, not even giving a bong. Its a 256 MB /400 MHz Lombard

Try putting in the AC or battery again ? ;-)

actually that sounds like a major hardware failure. Get in and make sure the processor card and memory are properly seated.

Otherwise, I'd suspect mobo or processor card failure.

Well, considering it booted once with a ROM checksum error, the processor card is probably dead. After checking to see if the processor is seated, and it still doesn't boot, then you will need to replace the processor card. I suspected that it /didn't/ become unseated, as the ROM checksum error would not have happened (the ROM, CPU and RAM are all on the CPU card, so a not-so-good connection to the logic board will not cause a checksum error). Likely culprit is that the ROM chip failed completely, or came unsoldered from the CPU board. It could be fixable, but not worth the pain in my opinion, a new processor card is less effort and pain.

Regards,
Adam Thayer