The National Enquirer reports at 4:45 AM +0000 9/29/04, Dave NovaK wrote:

> >Just like the subject says, my Wallstreet's LCD backlight won't turn back
> >on
> >after it wakes up from going to sleep. I also have to manually hit the the
> >brightness control button (either bright or dark) upon each bootup to get
> >the LCD backlight going.
> >
> >I'm running 10.2.8, and when I originally loaded the OS in, I didn't have
> > >this problem. Maybe three months down the line, for no good reason, it
> > >started doing this.
> >
> >Wallstreet 300mhz, 192mb RAM, 20g HD, CD/DVD, OS 10.2.8
>

> >>   Reboot in OS 9, from HD or CD. It's the only thing I know helps.
>

>That would be an option... if I had OS9 installed.
>
>How do I revert back from 10.2.8 to something else? Can I undo those
>"automatic updates"?
>

>I want OS9 installed.
>
>Why I don't have OS9 installed:
>
>I replaced the HD with a 20gig Travelstar.
>
>So I had a completely new hard drive, and OSX discs, but no OS9 discs. I
>installed 10.2.8 to the first partition (8gb rule), and had another 12g
>partition.
>
>I can't seem to get the 'book to boot from the OS9 CD, tho (yes, I'm holding
>the C key throughout the boot). It sucks, and I really want to be able to
>use OS9.
>
>What gives?

OS X has some funkiness on an older G3 PB. The easiest way to achieve
what you want would be to mount the CD while in OS X, then select it
as the startup disk. Then re-boot.

If you have the room in the 12 GB partition, you can install OS 9
there. It doesn't have to be installed in the first 8 GB.

Somebody help me out here, I don't want to give bad advice. Will Dave
be able to **boot* into OS 9 is he didn't install the OS 9 drivers
when he partitioned in OS X? I can't imagine that he did if he
doesn't have OS 9 installed.

>Again: Wallstreet 300gHz, 192mb RAM, 20g HD (8g/12g partitions)

Wow, 192 MB is not very much when it comes to running OS X. Is
there's any way you can manage to up it to 384, you'll find OS X runs
faster and quite a bit better for you.

HTH,

B0b