I had the same problem (no lit screen after wake from
sleep in Jaguar, no OS 9 installed). Things only got
worse after I erased the perfectly good all-Jaguar
all-the-time HDD in order to install Panther. Using
XPostFacto, the screen completely disappeared, nothing
would install. I tried to reinstall 10.2, starting
with 10.1 base install - the CD is not recognized
(worked fine a few weeks ago).

I am only guessing, but maybe the PRAM settings have
been altered in a way that needs more then PRAM Reset
to get them back.

Best
George (WS II, 512 MB Ram)