> The briefly flashing screen, hissing sound, and uneven illumination suggests that your problem is with
> the inverter circuitry that drives the LCD backlight. If the other suggestions don't work out,
> replacing the inverter board might work ($84.50 at http://www.wegenermedia.com/titp.htm).
> Although the inverter is located under the optical drive in your model of PowerBook, cleaning fluid could have
> shorted the backlight connector.

ok, following the suggestions, I let it rest for some 48 hours. I also pulled the bottom cover and visually inspected it just for the sake of it. No visible traces of anomalies. If I understand Ben's suggestion, some fluid might have shorted the backlight connector, thus damaging the circuitry at the inverter. Just to make sure I understand this right: fluid might have infiltrated in the display assembly, as I exclude that it could have reached the backlight connector at the inverter board. Could this lead to the problem you suggest? I ask this as I don't know how the circuitry looks like inside the display assembly.

I just add a few details in the hope that someone with experience with LCDs could catch a hint: currently the machine seems to work all fine, S-video out works OK. I could not try an external display, but I assume it would work as well. The PB display now flashes briefly with some luminosity at the right side fading to black towards the left side when powered up (startup), after waking from sleep, after changing resolution. The hissing sound no longer occurs. Then again the flashing is no longer at max luminosity. Bulb fried as well?

An oddity I have noticed is the following: I have run the machine in the evening with a light pointed towards the screen in order to be able to see the minimum to click around with the mouse. I have noticed that when shutting down or putting it to sleep, the display first goes pitch black, after a second or so a sort of dark yellowish light (very low intensity) diffuses from the top right area to cover the entire screen area in 2 or 3 seconds. It resembles a screen saver featuring an explosion! The screen then stays like this, i.e. not pitch black. This is to be seen only when shining a light towards the screen, it may be as well normal and one does not see this during normal operation. Of course I can see nearly nothing else if not pointing a light to it, but it's certainly not the normal way to run a PowerBook!

An Apple centre would ask me to leave the machine for a quote on the repair, which would cost me already quite an amount, so before doing that I hope to be able to figure out whether the problem lies simply with the inverter board or if more likely the display must be replaced, hoping to do it myself. Well, I've heard that the latter is quite a job, opening the display assembly is a half-nightmare. By the way, can the clutch covers be removed and replaced simply by removing/replacing the two screws securing each of them? Or is some gluing involved?

Thanks again for any advice and cheers, gianfranco