Thanks to all who gave suggestions to try and tackle my 15" TiBook display problem. Unfortunately the display is still dark with brief flashing at startup and the "explosion effect" after shutting it down or sleeping it is visible also in daylight.

A local Apple Centre gave me an approximate quote of up to EUR 1000 ($ 1200) for a display replacement. They would not consider the inverter as being the problem, which means that they will replace the display in any case, or in the worst case the display+inverter. This is economically not viable, so I consider looking for a defective machine with a good display to revive mine by myself (it's a 1GHz).

My question to the list is: are displays and inverter boards / cables the same across the entire DVI range (667 MHz to 1GHz), or the 1GHz shares parts only with the 867 MHz? Scouring websites offering PB parts, I've come across contradictory information. Many do sell display assemblies working for 667 MHz to 1 GHz, others have separate parts for 667/800 and 867/1000. Useless to say, would anyone have a good display to throw away, throw it my way :-)

cheers, gianfranco