The National Enquirer reports at 7:05 PM +0200 10/3/04, Mikael Byström wrote:

>Bob said:
>
> >What are you using for PPP? ARA? FreePPP?

>PPP.

Does not compute. :-)

I was asking so that we could check the settings if needed (flow
control, port speed etc).

> >Can you connect a regular phone to that line and/or connector? If so,
> >pick up the receiver and dial one numerical digit. Then listen and
> >see if you hear that buzz, or any noise at all.

>Yes, the line is equally noisy in every stage.

Sounds like that is you primary problem. A call to the phone company
sounds in order. It may be something as simple as a bad ground
connection at your house phone box. But they should be able to find
it and fix it.

> >I'll look and see if I can find something about GV modem scripts. Did
> >you Google to try to find anything?

>Yes, but as my GV Teleport 56 modem is international (code starts with
>SB), results were inconclusive. There seem to be no init strings at GVs
>site for this model, nor any firmware updates or manuals for that matter.

I'll bet someone on the comp.sys.mac.comm newsgroup would be able to
help you with those things.

>At the moment I'm going to try a reinstallation of the OS. I'll let you
>know how it turns out.

Wow, that would be the last thing I would try. Check that, it
wouldn't even be the last. I don't think your problem has anything at
all to do with your System.

>After trying other changes, your suggestions included (unfortunately this
>is a v.90 modem),

Since I had no idea what the problem actually was, a shotgun approach
was taken, hoping that something might work. Modem strings are pretty
easy to try.

>the problem that comes back every time, no matter what
>init I try (some fail completely too), is that it comes to "starting PPP"
>and then it hangs up after a minute or two.

I ran into the same kind of problem many years ago. Unfortunately I
don't remember what the problem ended up being.

>So I'm kinda leaning to some kind of OT error.

I honestly doubt it.

If you don't have another phone line at your location. The easiest
way to eliminate the computer, modem and OS is to take the hardware
to a neighbors, or some location where there's a clean phone line,
and try it there. If it works there then you'll know it's the phone
line.

I seem to recall someone on the list within the last week or two
saying that they were very knowledgeable when it came to modems.
Perhaps they can weigh in with better suggestions. I'll gladly yield
to their expertise. I haven't seen anyone else offer to help you.

Bob
--
If replying privately, please include my name in the To: address, so
that my filters won't send your reply to the trash.