At 02:51 PM +0100 10/05/2004, walter wrote:
I was following the thread on SmartMedia cards.

I was wondering what you folks do when on the road in terms of printing.

I suppose my questions are:

-any good tiny weensy printers one can usefully take along?

No. They're all expensive and crappy quality.

We have two compact/portable printers - a Cannon BJC and a HP DeskJet 350C. Neither are very satisfactory for anything other than basic text printing.

-I was thinking of getting one of those cute USB flash memory card that you can plug into your 'book and move your files there, then go to a print shop and have them printed.

Kinkos is your friend! And they have Macs! :)

In short: I would be interested (and grateful) to know what you guys consider to be the best option for fully compatible printing when on the road.

Depends on what "on the road" means.

If you have to physically haul it around, then Kinkos might be your best alternative.

But if you're like my housemates - who put thousands and thousands of miles on their RV every year.... Get something like one of the normal desktop HP PhotoSmart printers. They're not that expensive, very rugged, and print beautifully. They had an Epson, but it was problematic. Its ink didn't survive the temperature swings and the printer itself fell apart. It had an aversion to potholes & rough campgrounds.

HTH,
- Dan.