on 17/10/04 16:16, John at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> No personal experience here, but I've read that all the G3 iBooks (white) had
>> this problem, except the 500 mHz model.  Apple claims to have this problem
>> licked with the g4 iBook though, AFAIK.
>> Personally, I've only owned it for a few months, but I really really really
>> ike my iBook G4.  I feel it's a much better value compared to the Powerbooks.
>> Brian
>>

>>> I was tempted to suggest a Titanium, but since you're concerned about
>>> AirPort reception, then it might not be a good idea.
>>>
>>> Then, if you exclude the white iBook, there isn't much left except maybe a
>>> Pismo (PowerBook FireWire), but it will be a tad slower than your iBook and
>>> it might also have less video memory.
>>

> I have the chance to buy a 15" G4/667 Powerbook with Airport, DVD, 20Gb
> drive, and 512mb RAM, but the seller doesn't seem to be familier with
> Powerbooks and can't tell me what particular model this is, and I have
> to admit that I'm not all that familier with them either. He does
> mention some slight paint chipping around the optical drive slot on the
> front, but it's otherwise in great condition, and the screen has no bad
> pixels. Would it be new enough to be an Albook, or would it be a Ti? I
> can get it for about $900. Does that sound like a reasonable price?

That's most likely a Titanium PowerBook, so you can expect the AirPort
reception to be a bit weaker.

When looking up the prices on eBay, $900 seems a bit high for this model,
specially if it's the older 667MHz that has only 16MB of video memory (no
DVI port). I would suggest you do a search on eBay for completed items
similar to this one to get an idea about what you can expect to pay...

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

feeping creature n.: [from feeping creaturism] An unnecessary feature; a bit
of chrome that, in the speaker's judgment, is the camel's nose for a whole
horde of new features.