The National Enquirer reports at 11:25 PM -0700 10/18/04, Bruce
Mitchell wrote:

>on 10/18/04 6:29 PM, Bob at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > BTW I also have some advice on how to protect your laptop in
> > airports, if you are interested.
> >
> > Bob

>I'm interested in your advice on how to protect one's laptop in airports.

If you can wade through my extended reply to Brent (just sent out), I
included that information there.

>My main strategy has been to carry my PowerBook in a regular case that does
>not look like a laptop carrier. And I never take my eyes off it, even when
>it has to go through the x-ray machine; I don't allow anyone to rush me or
>distract me from paying attention.

Sounds like you know precisely how to protect your laptop. Brent
indicated that this was going to be the first (if not one of the
first) time(s) he would be taking a laptop on a trip, so I included
things that those of us who are veterans of PB travel probably
already know.

I have seen a number of people say they try to disguise their
computer bag. I have never done that. I don't care if they know what
it is, if I don't let it out of my sight, period. Plus my computer
bag carries practically *everything* thing I need for my PowerBook,
including a powerstrip, Zip drive, long Ethernet cable, PCMCIA
cards** and cables, emergency CDs etc. I need a whole case with
associated pockets for all that stuff. :-)

**FWIW small 10-count zipper-up CD pouches make the best PC card
carriers. They're a little bit bulky, but really great for protecting
the cards from damage. And they're usually pretty cheap, if not free,
at conventions and trade-shows.

Bob
--
If replying privately, please include my name in the To: address, so
that my filters won't send your reply to the trash.