The National Enquirer reports at 10:54 PM -0400 10/18/04, Brent
Baeslack wrote:

>Finally preparations that could lead to recovery of the stolen unit.

In addition to the previous programs I mentioned above, you might
want to take a look at these:

Stealthsignal
<http://www.stealthsignal.com>.

StuffBak
<http://www.stuffbak.com/>

LapCop
<http://homepage.mac.com/sweetcocoa/lapcop.html>

Some even mark their laptop with a UV pen for later identification.

>So yes I do have a cable lock type from Kensington but most motel
>furniture can be easily broken to untangle the cable.

There was a huge brouhaha within the last year or 18 months about how
easy it was proven that the Kensington security system could be
bypassed with such simple things as a ballpoint pen. I don't have a
URL handy, but you should be able to pull up the information on
Google with keywords like "Kensington" "security bypass" or just
"security cable."

I have no vested interest in promoting the Defcon-1. But the thing I
like about it is the additional motion sensor that can be set, so
even if someone cuts the cable, or moves the device to which it is
attached (though most rooms have something that is bolted down and
immovable), the audio alarm will start screeching. One thing thieves
don't like is attention.

>I currently do have login at startup but have heard the open firmware
>password prevents startup from a CD?

That's true. But unless it's a work situation (where other people may
know how to access your laptop, or even *want* to), I'm not sure how
critical this issue is.

There are potential serious consequences to using Open Firmware
passwords. You definitely don't want to forget what it is. And, this
little goodie was true at one time, I don't know if it has been
corrected or not -- If an Open Firmware password includes a capital
U, the password won't be recognized by your Mac. You can enter it as
a password, but it will never allow you to use the Mac

If you still want to know about it read:
  <<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107666> >

Go to here and download the application and Read Me file:
<http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/openfirmwarepassword.html>

>I was alluding to MacPhone Home type software, I just couldn't
>remember any software names, but would like to know if it actually is
>worth installing if they are just going to format the drive and
>reinstall the OS?

I've never used these types of programs. Maybe some of the list
members have. (and the companies may have user's comments on their
web-sites (??))

>I welcome your thoughts and advice.

I don't consider myself an expert on the subject. I just have tried
to be aware of anti-theft issues ever since I've had a PowerBook. I
would certainly welcome opinions and additional suggestions from
other list members. I'd still like to learn of other good ideas.

That's why I'm CC'ing this back to the list. I assume you won't mind, Brent.

P.S. Sorry for the length of this missive.

HTH,

Bob
--
If replying privately, please include my name in the To: address, so
that my filters won't send your reply to the trash.