I use both an iBook G4 and a 15" aluminium PBG4 regularly. The PowerBook's display is vastly better than the iBook's. Viewing angle is much wider (very useful when watching DVDs while lying down, as it's hard to get exactly the right vertical angle), there's much more colour definition, and the screen didn't require as much calibration to get it to look remotely acceptable. I personally was very unimpressed by the iBook's display quality, it seems that Apple has simply used the cheapest displays it could find. Even my comparatively ancient PowerBook G3s have better displays.

That said, why not go to an Apple dealer and compare the screens side by side? It may well be that iBook screens have improved over the past year, or that you're willing to put up with inferior quality if it comes at a much lower price.

Cheers,
Ben