Mark Philip said:

>If I was to upgrade the RAM to 512MB or higher, will there be a
>significant difference in performance?
Yes.
> Or am I better off selling off
>the Pismo and perhaps getting an iBook G4 later on?
That depends on your actual needs. A 400Mhz G3 will always be a 400Mhz
G3. On the other hand I find the iBook G4s to not live up to the expected
speed, probably due to that they, earlier at least, came with too little
on CPU cache. I don't think I'll ever get a machine with less than 1MB
cache. Obviously, though all the iBook G4s are most likely faster on
everything than your Pismo.

For some people an iBook may constitute a good balance of price and
performance, but I'm not one of them. Personally, I'd rather look for a
second hand Powerbook G4 with a little slower processor, a good graphics
card (16MB+) and expect it to work better for me than any iBook. One
reason for that is the larger cache, but also because I find a bigger
display increase my productivity.