On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 08:39:33 +1000, MMB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have a Powerbook G4 Ti 867 on Mac OS 10.2.8 and it has a combo NOT
> super drive. I am trying to decide whether I need Toast software. I
> intend to burn data CDs. I also have a camcorder and so will be making
> movies or videos.

My answers to your following questions are based on experience with a
Server G4 desktop, running OS 10.3.5, and not with a PowerBook G4.  I
recently replaced its original DVD-RAM drive with a SuperDrive, and I
also use an external FireWire CD/DVD-RW drive.

> Question 1.
>
> I assume I cannot burn DVDs even with Toast software?

You can burn DVDs very well with Roxio Toast Titanium Versions 5 and 6.

> Question 2.
>
> Do I need Toast in addition to all the CD burning software in the MacOS
> 10.2.8?

You need Toast or some other comparable software to burn DVDs.  I also
have NTI Dragon Burn, as well as other programs that came with the
external Panasonic drive.  Some claim to have more features than
Toast, but I have had the best experience with Toast.

> Question 3.
>
> Does anyone else have a similar setup and care to comment on Toast?

Please see above.

> Question 4.
>
> Can you burn a movie on a CD? a video CD?

Because of the size of video files, you need DVD media.

Roxio maintains an excellent website, with lots of useful information.
 As a registered owner of several versions of Toast, I receive Roxio
newsletters which are also good resources.

Fabian