There was a CD-RW drive manufactured for the Wallstreet, but it's impossible to find these days. Unlike the Lombard and Pismo, you can't just replace the drive in the expansion bay module with a standard low-profile optical drive. At this stage, your only option is to get an external device.

OS X runs quite well on the 292 and 300MHz Wallstreets, and acceptably on the 266MHz. Anything slower and you'll be frustrated. Jaguar is the last OS officially supported by Apple, but 10.3 can be installed with the aid of XPostFacto. 384MB RAM is really the minimum for OS X. Less than that and things like launching applications and switching between open applications become unacceptably slow. Some people have had problems using 512MB RAM under 10.3, but I've never run into it on either of my PowerBooks. For maximum performance, set your monitor to thousands of colours mode. To speed QT movie playback, there's a modification you can make to the video drivers, but I recommend staying away from that unless it's really necessary for you.

A 10GB hard disk is enough to install a stripped-down version of Panther and still have enough room left over for a decent set of programs and documents. Panther will take up about 1-1.5GB over the top of your existing OS 9 installation (probably about 500MB of system and applications).

Cheers,
Ben