On 22/10/04 16:35, "Laurent Daudelin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On 22/10/04 15:56, "Scott Birdwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I've been having some issues with my Wallstreet Mainstreet not charging
>> the battery pack.  Laurent Daudelin was kind enough to suggest:
>>
>>> Have you tried resetting the PMU? To check if the contacts are the
>>> problem, try inserting the battery in the other bay. If the PowerBook
>>> sees
>>> it, then the contact in the other bay are dirty or bad. If not, then
>>> it's
>>> most likely the PMU.
>>>
>>> If I remember correctly, you need to have a good main battery in the
>>> PowerBook for the PRAM battery to recharge (yes, it's a rechargeable
>>> one).
>>> Of course, it is quite possible that the rechargeable PRAM battery has
>>> reached the end of its useful life. You first have to resolve your main
>>> battery problem and then you'll see if the PRAM battery gets back to
>>> life.
>>
>> This is interesting.  Yes, I've reset the PMU and zapped the PRAM, the
>> latter allowed the Battery Reset to "think" it was going to work, but
>> still no go.  I've tried the battery pack in the other expansion bay -
>> no change.  So are you saying the PRAM battery cannot be recharged
>> unless there is a battery pack in the expansion bay?  The guy that I
>> bought this from claimed that this computer was almost never used with
>> a battery.  It didn't even arrive with one.   I had to buy a new one.
>> He did say that the date & time would get all messed up within a matter
>> of minutes if disconnected from the wall outlet.  Maybe this is because
>> the PRAM battery was slowly discharging as it wasn't getting recharged.
>
> I think that this is what I've read somewhere. As long as the PowerBook is
> plugged, the internal clock will keep the time. When it's unplugged and the
> main battery is depleted, the PRAM battery discharges very quickly and will
> recharge once there is enough juice in the main battery.

I forgot to add that based on your experience, I would bet that the PMU is
the likely problem. The PMU controls all aspects of charging the batteries,
reporting how much power remains, etc.

There is also the slight possibility that your battery is defective. I've
got a brand new one once from BTI and had to exchange it as it was not
charging. In my case, I knew it was the battery because I had another one
that was charging fine. If you could find someone with a Lombard or a Pismo,
you could try your battery in a different laptop to see if it recharges. If
it does, then the battery is defective. If not, then most likely your PMU
(Power Management Unit) is the defective part.

I'm not a technician, so take what I say for what it's worth, but I've owned
a 3500 (Kanga), a Wallstreet, a Pismo and now a PowerBook 17. I took the
Wallstreet completely apart a few times and put it back together without any
harm. I took apart the Pismo completely apart just a couple of times.
FWIW...

-Laurent.