From: Bob [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 4:51 AM
To: G-Books
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Compatibility of OS10 with the Wallstreet II 233

The National Enquirer reports at 3:01 PM +1000 10/27/04, Ben Dyer wrote:

>Mike,
>
>OS X 10.3.5 should run OK on that machine. A 4GB hard drive is enough,
>but you'll need to deselect a few options during the install (I'd
>suggest not bothering with the BSD subsystem, additional printer
>drivers, or additional languages). Once it's stripped down to the bare
>bones, a Panther install takes up a little less than 1GB. Allowing
>400MB for the 9.2 installation and 600MB for swap, that leaves you with
>about 2GB free (IIRC the Wallstreet "4GB" drive is actually 4GB
>*formatted*).

Although you *can* use the 4GB, I would recommend against it. It's
not merely the OS installation that you need to be concerned about,
You need a considerable amount of room for all of the applications
that you will want to use, room for OS X swap files, cache files etc.
Then after all that, OS X can begin to react somewhat funky if you
have less than 15-20% free space on the H.D all the time.

If you want to use OS 9, OS 9 apps and data files, then you are going
to need even more hard disk space.

Personally (and this is just my own opinion on things), I wouldn't
recommend using anything less than 10GB (20GB would even be better).
Even if you are satisfied with a small drive today, you may very
likely run out of room in the near future. And who wants to go
through reinstalling *another* drive and having to move everything
over to it unnecessarily? A 20GB drive (which is considered small
these days) should be fairly inexpensive (what, $60-$80?).

>You don't need to set up separate partitions for OS 9 and
>OS X, I'd recommend leaving it all on the one.

You don't need to, but here again, I would suggest doing so. There
arguments both ways on this subject. But I haven't heard one that
negates the advantage of being able to boot your Wallstreet from a
separate partition if you need to. In addition, keeping OS 9 and OS X
separate will prevent you from losing everything if you have  major
corruption on one of the partitions.

I would seriously consider using several partitions if you go with a
20GB drive. Keeping your data on a separate partition helps to
protect it as well.

As I say, I'm sure there are going to be other list-members who are
going to give reasons why they don't recommend partitioning with OS X
(not making the partitions big enough to start with etc.). And I'm
not saying that my way is the only way -- or even the best way for
everyone. But from someone who has partitioned every drive I've had
for the past 12-15 years, I do know the advantages. I could go on and
on about the advantages. But I don't have the time at the moment, and
it basically boils down to what you really want.

HTH,

Bob
--
If replying privately, please include my name in the To: address, so
that my filters won't send your reply to the trash.