I bought the 550MHz G4 upgrade from FastMac a little over a year ago and can thoroughly recommend both the upgrade and the company. Total turnaround was 9 days including shipping to and from the UK. The Pismo booted up first time once the card was installed, the new spec correctly identified in System Profiler with no software patches to install and no compatibility problems with any software, either Apple or 3rd party. The machine is rock solid, runs no hotter than before and battery life is also unaffected. Combined with 1Gb RAM, OS X runs beautifully, movie playback is smoother , apps open quicker, iTunes ripping is greatly improved... all in all, a worthwhile exercise.
FastMac's service was also excellent, keeping me informed of progress and delivering within the promised time. Only one very minor point to note: The processor card came back without the little plastic pull tab stuck on the back. I had a spare from another card so this wasn't a problem (and it wouldn't be too much trouble to make a new one) but you might want to remove it yourself before sending the card as it does make subsequent removal much easier.
The Pismo remains my favorite PowerBook and this upgrade is an excellent way to extend its useful life for several more years. Go ahead an give yourself that Christmas present!

Clive