--- Larry le Mac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am fixing a PowerBook Lombard or an IceBook
> for my wife and she'll probably want it to be
> wireless, but rather than spending (too much)
> money on AirPort I'm thinking of buying a
> standard PC basestation/sender.
>
> Which ones work well with a Mac ? Makes ?
>
> USB or PCMCIA ?
>

> Larry

Ok I just went through all of this the past two weeks
and now I've got 2 extra cards that won't work with my
3400 that I've got to put back on Ebay to try and
recoup my investment.  Perhaps you can learn from my
mis-steps.

I knew I could probably get things cheaper on eBay but
I wanted instant gratification so I went out to
Staples and picked up a Netgear MR814v2 router.  It
had the mac symbol on it but probabaly any router
would work. I used to have a Linksys router and all
the functions for controlling it are done through a
browser and an internal to the router web site.  It
worked right out of the box.  Just plugged it in and
my broadband network was back up.

The netgear has a lot of parental controls which I
found nice.  I can set it up to cut off my son's
computer at 10:00 PM on Mon-Fri or block sites by
keyword or actual URL.  Heck when he's grounded I can
selectively just block him from BattleNet.

So the router was no problem.  I also picked up a
cardbus 802.11b card figuring I could shave the card
like I did my usb card and get it to work in my PB
3400.... not so.  The only mac drivers for cardbus
cards that I could find worked only on 10.2 or later
which I can't do with my 3400.

So I researched some more and found
http://www.ioxperts.com

They have OSX  and OS9 drivers for many PCMCIA cards.
So I looked at the list quickly and then hopped into
the car and drove 45 minutes to Best Buy since it was
the only other place I knew of that would be open on a
Sunday and I was still working for that whole instant
gratification idea.

I picked up a D-Link - 11 Mbps PC Card Wireless
Adapter (DWL-650) (Please note: D-Link uses the same
model number for cards with different chipsets. We
support only one of them)

Of course I didn't notice that part about them using
the same model number for different chipsets before I
bought the second card.  There are actually 4
different D-Link DWL-650 cards and the IOXperts
drivers only support 1 of the 4 so that was mis-step
number two...

Well now the burn for instant gratification has been
numbed by my stupidity and blowing nearly $80 for two
cards that are useless to me. Course they had rebates
that equalled $45 since they are trying to get rid of
the rest of their B cards and stuff so eventually I'll
get most of it back... and I should be able to get
something for them on eBay whenever I get around to
dealing with that.

So after all the blundering about I printed the list
of supported cards
http://www.ioxperts.com/devices_80211b.html  and sent
my eBay finger a tapping.

Did a buy it now for a Netgear MA401 PCMCIA cardthat
with shipping was $30 and it came in today.  Plugged
it in and worked immediately with the drivers I had
installed. I can be anywhere in my house and use  my
broadband connection now.  Woo Hoo!

Hopefully your experience works out cheaper than mine
did.

Matt aka HamletUSMC
http://www.geocities.com/hamletusmc/

Powerbook 3400, Bondi iMac, Blueberry iMac