On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 10:37:11AM -0800 or thereabouts, Nils wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 08:18:15PM -0700 or thereabouts, Nils wrote:
>
> > > Internal temperature can vary quite a bit from computer to computer,
> > > even if they are the same model. The amount of RAM, size of the hard
> > > drive, PC cards, modem use, what apps are being used, and especially
> > > the ambient temperature all effect the temperature of the PB. But, to
> > > help you somewhat, my internal fan (WS II) doesn't come on until
> > > 172-176 degrees F.

I'm still experimenting with this WS trying to get the fan to come on.
I'm running OS 9.2.2 and watching the temperature with GaugePRO v1.1.
So far, I've had the unit up to 86 degrees celcius, 187 degrees fahrenheit
and still the fan is not coming on.

I've only one reference point from Bob whos WSII fan came on between
172-176 degrees farenheit. It'd be nice if some other people chimed in
reporting the temperature that their fans come on.

While running OS 9, I got to play with the Energy Saver features.
'Allow Processor Cycling' is a great feature. But when looking
through the options in 10.3.4 I didn't notice anything that looked
like 'allow processor cycling'...

Doing a little research, I found a good explanation of how processor
cycling works..

- All PowerBook models implement a feature called processor cycling
- (formerly known as processor rest) intended to save battery life.
- This feature activates when the computer detects that the keyboard,
- mouse, trackball, or Trackpad has not been used for more then a few
- seconds. At this time, the processor speed is reduced to about
- 3 MHz and all processing functions become extremely slow. Processor
- cycling will not activate while the computer is doing any sort of
- data transfer.

When I was running 10.3.4 on this machine, it got warm and stayed warm
until the machine locked up. That is, even if I wasn't typing, using the
track pad, or transferring data to disk, cd or over the network.

But, when running OS 9 with processor cycling turned on, the machine
would start to cool down, until I started using it again.  A good example
is right now.  I'm typing this email up, and while thinking about what
to write, the machine drops a few degrees when I'm not typing..  Then
when I start typing again, the cpu goes up a few degrees. Which makes
sense if the description of 'processor cycling' above is correct.

Does anyone know of the status of 'processor cycling' in OS X?
Or have any urls or notes regarding it in the different releases
of OS X? (10.1, 10.2, 10.3)

Anyways..  Still testing..

-nils