The one think I want to add is a wireless card (for the internet radio
& allrecipes.com/epicurious.com), which I haven't done yet.  I
understand going to X complicates this, but I've only done casual
reading, not serious research, so far.

I'll report back how I do, when I get around to actually doing this. (Right now I'm redoing my house so there's no room on the kitchen
counter for even a laptop.) If anyone has any comments on this use,
let me know!

Anne

Actually, going into X does NOT complicate the matter of adding a wireless card.
Many cards just work right out of the box with the drivers built into the OS.
I have a Belkin 802.11g card that works like a charm (either on my Wallstreet or on my TiBook, both running OS X Panther) ; and I know several others also work, but you should check before you buy, of course.

Luis