On Thursday, November 11, 2004, at 02:18 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

At 12:53 PM -0700 11/11/2004, Bruce Johnson wrote:
On Thursday, November 11, 2004, at 05:51 AM, PETE wrote:
The list (server?) sent me an attachment with a virus.
How is this possible?

All viruses for the last few years have forged the 'From:' header

Speaking of forged from headers...

There are a lot of phishies from eBay, Half, and PayPal flying around these days. They're getting awfully good -- the From header and message body are exact dups of real notices from those sites! BUT...

Yeah...a good rule of thumb is to pretty much never believe who an e-mail says it's from anymore... (Hmmm...I wonder...is that the *real* Dan ? :-]

If you get a notice from your bank, credit card or someplace like Paypal, and want to check it out, always go and enter the direct web site address in your browser, log in and check from there.

Don't click on the link. Odds are the link will look very real, too, taking you to a realistic copy of the target's web site.

If you really DO have something up with your Paypal account, for example, they'll tell you about it when you log in...

The latest virus cruising the net is one just like this, except rather than the link taking you to a phishing site to extract your credit card info, it will cheerfully infect you computer with the latest MyDoom virus. Or, at least it would if you're dumb enough to use a PC running Internet Explorer that's not patched to within an inch of it's life...

Us Mac users, we laugh at the feeble attempts! Ha!

--
"Wherever you go, there you are." - B. Banzai, Ph.D.
Bruce Johnson