At 2:05 AM +0000 11/12/04, Malcolm Cornelius wrote:
> At 12:53 PM -0700 11/11/2004, Bruce Johnson wrote:
On Thursday, November 11, 2004, at 05:51 AM, PETE wrote:
 The list (server?) sent me an attachment with a virus.
 How is this possible?

All viruses for the last few years have forged the 'From:' header

Speaking of forged from headers...

 There are a lot of phishies from eBay, Half, and PayPal flying around
 these days.  They're getting awfully good -- the From header and
 message body are exact dups of real notices from those sites!  BUT...

I had 5 today from PP and Ebay.

But as usual none had my registered name in the them - it was all "dear ebay
customer" and the like.

Not a guaranteed filter but a good starting point.

When I started with my current ISP I setup several e-mail addresses. In addition to addresses for personal communications I setup one for Usenet, a few for mailing lists and one for e-bay. Most of the scam e-mail I get is sent to the Usenet address. I don't think any of it comes in on my e-bay address.

Fortunately my ISP filters most of this stuff.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA