The National Enquirer reports at 11:46 AM -0500 11/12/04,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>At 01:54 AM -0700 11/12/2004, Bob wrote:
> >I had occasion to check out
> >the Roxio web site today and I looked to see what updated information
> >I could pick up on any newer versions of the Adaptec UDF extension.
> >All I could find was version 1.0.4, which is the version that I've
> >had since 1999. When I re-read the README file that I had, it
> >indicated that v. 1.0.4 allowed access of UDF 1.5.
>
>Right, it's version 1.0.4 of the extension.
>It supports the UDF 1.0, 1.0.2, and 1.5 standards.

Backward compatibility makes sense.

> >Since you mentioned UDF 2.0 & 2.0.1 in your previous reply, and you
> >stated "Adaptec UDF Volume Access, which supports those newer
> >standards," can you provide any further detail on what newer versions
> >are available and what UDF versions they support? I'd like to snag
> >them if I can find them.
>
>For OS 8/9, that Adaptec extension also seems to support some of the
>UDF 2 features.  While it apparently it isn't full support, it's
>enough that all our new "foreign" (non-US) DVDs we have read just
>fine.

Partial UDF 2 support is something that I did not know.

>For OS X, ... I'm still looking.
>
>OS X is in worse shape than 8/9.  Apple's full UDF support once again
>stops at the 1.02 standard.  And since Roxio hasn't updated their
>extension to work on X, there simply is no ?easy? support for 1.5 or
>2.x.
>
>See the "UDF CDs in OS X?" thread in G-Books archive, from 10/26 for details.

I still have that thread, and after re-reading the messages, I
distinctly remember the original discussion.

>At this point...
>
>1) Apple Support's official response, via telephone, is that Macs
>running OS X simply cannot read UDF 1.5 CDs.  Some UDF 1.5 DVDs are
>supported.  There is no support for UDF 2.

Apparently due to their lack of interest combined with PO'ing Adaptec.

>2) But from terminal in Panther, you can view man pages that say full
>UDF 1.5 is there, although it doesn't say CD or DVD specifically.
>I'm currently puttering within to see if I can force a mount.

Does that pertain to Panther only (no Jaguar support)?

> And
>I'm looking at the Linux UDF open source project - maybe it can be
>easily adapted.

I'm waiting to hear what http://www.softarch.com/index.html is going
to end up actually supporting.  Hopefully they will be one company
that feels like the Mac & OS X is worth supporting.

>3) I'm getting the impression that there is support for UDF 1.5 and 2
>in the latest Roxio Toast products.  Still waiting for Roxio to
>confirm this.  But that's a $$$$$ solution for mostly unnecessary
>software.  :\

It's doubly irksome since Adaptec UDF support has been free for so
long. I agree with you, I don't want to invest in Toast *just* to get
UDF support.

>4) Got Windows?  All our UDF CDs and DVDs read just fine on our Dell.
>
><rant> sigh.  This situation is a total embarrassment for Apple, IMO.
>It is unconscionable that their high-end computers, targetted to the
>multimedia market, can't even read modern CDs and DVDs!  UDF is the
>underlying file system on *all* video DVDs!  UDF 1.5 has been around
>for YEARS!  It's not like it's so new... *grumble* Dell *grumble*
>*frustration* </rant>

Agreed 100%. Especially with the mantra of the digital hub. You
wouldn't think they would want a hub with some faulty ports. :-/

Thanks for all of the good information. It's nice to have someone so
knowledgeable about the subject on the list.

Bob
--
If replying privately, please include my name in the To: address, so
that my filters won't send your reply to the trash.