How often do you have it set to check mail? Do you have a spam filter that pings when it tosses something? I get a "ting" when mine checks mail and there isn't any; a different noise when it downloads mail; I, too, am running an Al book 10.3.6....take a look at your mail settings and see if you can spot anything.

Travis