-----Original Message-----
From: G-Books [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of David
Lesher
Sent: Friday, November 26, 2004 09:39
To: G-Books
Subject: Re: AlBook & Wacom Graphire @ startup ???

I'm hardpressed to believe this, as the USB driver chip controls the
current, and Apple has to buy those. Besides which, I'm sure midst all
the cross-licensing agreements is the one that sez 'it must conform or
you can't call it "USB"..'
----

USB standard is an oxymoron.  If there was ever a technology that was
written with guidelines instead of rules USB 1.x is it.  While USB 1.x
has improved over time it still has compatibility issues.  My favorite
was one time when I was going through the HP troubleshooter on their
website trying to get a printer set up.  The question was "Is your USB
chipset made by this major vendor?" (can't remember which one)  I
checked and sure enough it was.  So I said yes and got this nice screen
that told be in no uncertain terms that there was no way I was ever
going to get it to work.  The standard basically got the shape size and
pinout of the connector standardized and left everything else in too
broad terms.