From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "G-Books" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 12:43 PM
Subject: Re: Pismo questions

> OK, next question, are there any replacement/upgrade drives so I can
> get CDRW and maybe DVDRW?
>

> Rad..
> ----------------------------
> As per recent discussions about the Sony 830, there are LOTS of options
for a Combo CDRW/DVD and several for a DVD-RW.
> Check out xlr8yourmac.com under their Drive Upgrades database.
>
> Personally I've  used several different brands of Combo in my Pismos and
can recommend them all: Sony, Matshita, LG, Teac. I've also used a few
different DVD-RWs too: Toshiba SD-R6472 which is currently the fastest DVD-R
out there (8x for both DVD-R and DVD+R, 4 x RW, 2.4x Dual Layer), as well as
the slot-loading Superdrives Apple uses in the G4 powerbooks: Panasonic
Matshita UJ-815 and UJ-825, the latter being faster at 4x vs. 2x.

> I like the slot-loading option, as you could keep the drive if you upgrade
to a G4 with Combo in the future: just swap the drives and resell the Pismo
with the slot-loading Combo from the G4.