Andrew, Time, et al,

If the password space is left blank when the system is first set up, then
the password is in fact a blank space.  All one has to do is hit reurn or
the "OK" button and that will move past the authorization process.  This is
important also because if you do decide to reset the password using the
reset function on the install disks, the reset program will ask for the
original password, whereupon you would again enter the blank space ass the
password.

Run

Hi Run,

Thanks, that's just about what I was thinking. But won't passwd in the terminal do this just as well? Why would she need to boot from the install CD (not that that's a problem)?

She's not having any problem launching software installed during the original OS X install, so getting Terminal up ought not to be a problem.

Peace,
Drew
--

Author of ClassicStumbler email: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> web: <http://www.alksoft.com/>