on 06/12/04 21:47, Zoltan Batiz at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2004, at 6:40 PM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:
>
>> on 06/12/04 19:42, Zoltan Batiz at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>>> Pismo user here. . .
>>>
>>> Since I've downloaded iTunes 4.7, I now have an average:  for every 1
>>> CD I burn, 2 or 3 are ruined in the process.  The error message:  "The
>>> Device drained it's buffer without burn underrun protection."  What!?
>>> This is getting on my nerves for obvious reasons.  I'm tired of buying
>>> more CD-R's only to end up throwing half of them away.  What's going
>>> here folks?  Is this a 4.7 problem?  I checked Apple's website, but
>>> have found nothing relating to this message, only info on what
>>> underrun
>>> protection is.
>>>
>>> My system:
>>>
>>> Pismo 500, 1 gig RAM, OS X 10.3.6, external firewire powered
>>> SmartDiskVST CD-R/W, external USB powered Zip 100 drive, USB powered
>>> Canon Scanner, Epson printer, and an external 17" Apple Studio Display
>>> (F.Y.I.: iTunes has always read my CDRW drive as "TEAC CD-W28E")
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help in this matter. . .I'm tired of wasting CD-R's!!
>>
>> If I understand the problem correctly, this error message means that
>> the
>> burner doesn't get the data from the computer fast enough, so the burn
>> fails.
>>
>> You have to understand that you most likely patched iTunes with
>> (PatchBurn
>> or other) to make your CDRW drive recognized by iTunes. I would
>> imagine that
>> iTunes is somehow optimized for machines that had a built-in CDRW which
>> means that they were faster than your Pismo.
>>
>> Of course, the last part is pure speculation on my part but the first
>> part
>> is still valid...
>>
>> -Laurent.
>>
> Speculation yes. . .but a good one at that.  My CDRW drive is listed in
> the Apple website as being built for iTunes from the ground up.  I
> didn't have to install any patch or anything.  Just plugged it in, and
> it worked.  My new suspicion is that the media is incompatable with my
> drive.  I picked up these blank CD-R's that are labled 52x.  My drive
> only burns up to 8x.  I've set the speed limit in iTunes to 8x and I'm
> going to try to burn disks using my trusted brand for blank disks.  it
> everything is fine, then it was the media.  Afterall, the media that
> I've been having problems with came from the 99 cents store so maybe
> it's the culprit.

FYI, even though I've never had overrun buffer problem, I found that if I
was burning at the media max speed, sometimes the resulting CDs wouldn't
always play well. At some point, I just decide to burn them slower and
haven't had any problem since. Just a thought...

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

card walloper n.: An EDP programmer who grinds out batch programs that do
stupid things like print people's paychecks. Compare code grinder. See also
punched card, eighty-column mind.