So do people think that my G4 500 pismo with 1 gig of ram should work?

Or should I look for a TI book?

Thank, Kevin
On Dec 8, 2004, at 4:22 PM, Dan K wrote:

Forget encoding and burning with iDVD on anything G3, even if technically
possible it'll be sloow as molassass in the Yukon in January. However, a
Pismo is quite capable of capturing and editing DV video using iMovie. If
more editing power is needed, FC Express is a mere $300 or so, quite a
bargain relative to its high-priced FCPro sibling.

I'll suggest encoding and burning DVDs with the ADS Instant DVD USB
hardware video capture device and its bundled SW:
<http://adstech.com/products/macav1750/intro/macav1750intro.asp? pid=MACAV17
50>

available here for a mere US$129:
<http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=5448&Item=ADSMACAV1750>

It does a splendid job of encoding video to the standard DVD codec and
does so in real time, with better results than achieved using Apple's
codecs as well. It includes a very satisfactory (X only) DVD authoring
application, CaptDVD, and it supports both external and internal DVD
burners.

For me, workflow goes (roughly) like this:

DV cam tape (FW DV) -> Mac (FW) -> capture/edit/print (iMovie, FCE, FCP,
etc.) -> Mac (FW) -> DV cam tape (FW) -> DV cam tape (analog) -> Instant
DVD USB -> Mac (USB) -> CaptDVD -> DVD burner

Biggest concern voiced by folks who haven't used it is the worry that USB
1 isn't fast enough to handle video of sufficient quality. I can attest
(from personal experience) the resulting quality can easily exceed that
produced by an all digital workflow (eg: FCExpress -> iDVD), primarily
because Apple's built-in codecs aren't very good. You can buy a better
codec (product's name escapes me just now) but straight out the box
Instant DVD USB does a superior job.

hth,

dan k

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700
hotline://dankephoto.dhs.org:9500

Small Dog Electronics http://www.smalldog.com | Refurbished Drives |
-- Check our web site for refurbished PowerBooks | & CDRWs on Sale! |