At 5:33 PM -0800 12/9/04, Alejandro wrote:
Hard Discs can be set to Master, Slave and another
state.
You will find that there are four pins (they are free
from the connection) and you should be able to remove
or change the position of the bridge (wich joins
them).
Check that.

Let's hope it will be that, because it's easy to fix.

Nope, the small drive was originally in the laptop and there was no change in jumpers (none installed). Thanks anway.

--- Clark Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 I'm trying to put a bigger HD and OS X into a
 Lombard at the school I
 help out at.  When I try with either the OS X or OS
 9 installer disk
 and the format utility the new disk gets reported as
 a smaller size.
 The old disk gets reported with the correct size.
 But neither of
 them will format.  If I pull them and put them in an
 IDE-Firewire
 enclosure I can format them to the right size, no
 problem.  If I
 format them in the Firewire enclosure and put them
 in the Lombard it
 can't see them as formatted.  The "newer" drive came
 out of an iBook
 and was formatted and loaded with OS X when I first
 tried it and it
 wasn't seen then.  My best guess is either the drive
 cable or logic
 board.  I was hoping someone would know of a third,
 cheaper
> alternative.

-- Clark Martin Redwood City, CA, USA Macintosh / Internet Consulting