On Friday, December 10, 2004, at 11:34 PM, Herbert Goodfriend wrote:

I installed the MK4026-GAX and partitioned it using a full-retail install disk of OS 10.3, but when I went to install the OS I could not. The screen which shows available volumes had all three volumes "prohibited" and showed a message "cannot install OS because your computer cannot start up from this volume."

I don't know about the MK4026-GAX, but my brother gave me a MK4019-GAX, and it caused all kinds of problems.

I originally tried to install the MK4019-GAX inside my Pismo. I managed to install OSX and OS9 on it, and get it to boot. However, if the was put to sleep, it took 2 minutes to spin back up. I later found al kinds of disk errors. I thought the drive was defective.

I pulled the drive and forgot about it. When I pickup an external (firewire) hard drive case, I tried the Mk4019-GAX as an external drive. It worked perfectly as a firewire drive, it even woke up from sleep fast. And if I wanted, the Pismo could boot from it.

I don't any idea why this MK4019-GAX acts the way it does.

- Ron.