I only buy TravelStar drives as well, though I
received a 2.5" 9mm 80GB 5400 RPM drive made by
Samsung and installed in a compact FireWire enclosure
as a gift.

What I like most about the TravelStars isn't even
performance, but how quiet they are.  The 20GB I put
in my Lombard (drive purchased in 1999 and used
constantly in a Toshiba PC) is just as quiet as the
brand-new 80GB in my PowerBook, and just as fast.

Never knew Samsung made laptop hard drives (they make
everything else, so why not), but so far this drive is
also very quiet (they claim fluid bearnings like
IBM/Hitachi) and seems just as fast, though over a
FW400 port I'm not sure I'm seeing everything it can
do.  I may put it into the Lombard, though I doubt
that computer will ever need more than the 20GB it
currently has.

Andrew

<http://www.mail-archive.com/g-books%40mail.maclaunch.com/>