Dyna,

It seems like deja-vu to me while I read your post. I had a Pismo 500mhz
that exhibited the same symptoms (and more) as yours. It would be my
suggestion to:

Remove your processor daughtercard and take a very good look at the large
chip on the UNDERSIDE of the daughtercard. Mine was 'cooked' in appearance -
and what I mean is that there was a baked, faded color that was round in
shape. Tore out a lot of hair trying to diagnose the problem. Even using the
Apple Hardware CD that came with the Pismo - no report of problems but I had
totally unpredictable crash behaviour until Applecare finally replaced the
daughtercard. The replacement has a completely different chip with more
advanced construction and since then I've experienced NO MORE lock ups,
crashes, etc. Believe me - I tried everything before this solution.

My guess was that my machine had been overheated (before I purchased it
used)and the chip integrity had been compromised. In fact, Applecare didn't
replace it the first time I sent it in. It was on the second try that they
actually did it.

Bottom line: IMHO, the chip has been damaged and you can find replacement
daughtercards on eBay (just make sure you have a DOA clause in the
purchase).

stein

[ So following the advice given to the new Lombard owner with
similar problems I pulled and reseated the processor card and it's RAM.
The Pismo now usually boots up and goes to work, but occasionally
freezes after an hour or more of use. It then refuses to boot until I
disconnect all power and I sometimes have to disconnect the PRAM
battery as well. ]